Old weird laws that are still in effect even today. UK caught our attention this time.
1. A pregnant woman may relieve herself wherever she wishes.
2. It is an executable offense to allow your pet to mate with a pet of the royal house without permission.
3. The phrase “rule of thumb” is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn’t beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
4. It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
5. In Chester you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
6. If you find a Cab-driver in London not carrying a bale of hay overboard, he is breaking the law.
7. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.
8. Dying is illegal in the Houses of Parliaments. The Chinese seem to agree.
9. Placing a postage stamp bearing the monarch’s head upside down on an envelope is considered as act of treason.
10. A law passed in 1585, making it illegal for women to “cause a nuisance with abusive or argumentative language”.The punishment was to wear a metal cage, enclosing her head. The law was not abolished until 1967.
11. William the Conqueror ordered that everyone should go to bed at eight o’clock.
12. The Licensing Act of 1872 explains that operating a cow or steam engine while intoxicated carries a prison sentence.
Ever broke any of these laws? Ever took advantage of them? Share with us!