RaccoonAs a teenager I worked as a counselor in a summer camp in California and one night we were raided by a big raccoon who was after the chocolate and marshmallows we had left over from our campfire cooking. It may have been fairly friendly but it was terrifying at the time.

Nobody would really mistake a raccoon for their cat or would they ? This story reminds me of the advert above but recently somebody really did think a raccoon was their cat. Unfortunately an elderly woman ended up in hospital after being attacked by a raccoon which she’d let into her house by mistake. The 88 year old had heard it scratching at her sliding glass door and accidentally let it into her home when she thought it was her pet cat.

It didn’t turn out so well as apparently the raccoon had rabies and bit the old lady. Subsequently it was put down.

Officers responded at about 11 p.m. to a report of a wild animal attack at a home on Brinsmade Road, Capt. Ronald Smith said Monday in a press release.

Police found that the woman was attacked after a raccoon followed her cat into her home through a sliding glass door. The woman had heard a scratching sound outside the door and opened it to let her cat in, Smith said. When the woman attempted to pet what she thought was her cat, the raccoon attacked her, biting her on the elbow, hand, forearm, lip and chin.

The woman was transported to the hospital by an American Medical Response ambulance.

The raccoon charged two officers when they arrived at the house, according to Smith. The raccoon was caught and euthanized “before it inflicted further damage,” Smith said.